Saturday, September 24, 2011

A New Story Writer on the Block



Last September, I took Keaton for his initital speech and language evaluation. I had first begun to worry about his speech when he was 12 months old. At his evaluation, the speech pathologist asked Keaton to tell her a story. She tried picture prompts, and I even encouraged him to tell her how Pop Pop had recently caught a shark at the beach. We got nothing. While I knew his articulation was developmentally behind where he should be, I hadn't realized that he was missing an important language skill: story telling. I was devastated.

This morning Keaton watched me type Collin's birth story. He asked if I would type his story. This is the story he dictated to me:

A Princess Knight Story
by Keaton Parker Brooks

Once upon a time, there was a knight and a princess in a castle. The knight was in the forest and the princess was in the dark, witch forest. And the witch got her and she took her to the witch castle. The knight can’t find her, and he went to the witch castle. It was locked. And he unlocked the witch’s castle and he run upstairs. And he got the princess. And he go downstairs and said “Nah, nah, you can’t get me” to the witch. Then he ran upstairs and killed the witch. And the princess said, “Thank you.” Then, the princess kissed the knight. The end.

I'm so grateful to realize how much he has verbally grown in just one year. Yay, Keaty Peaty! Keep up the good work! Oh, and God bless his speech teacher. She's a rock star in my book too!






No comments: