Monday, April 26, 2010

Springish Things






Our family has been pretty busy this spring. McLain started his second season of soccer and is loving every minute of it. We've given up sleeping in and being lazy on the weekends for cheering on the sidelines and watching McLain run furiously up and down the field. Keaton loves to watch McLain play this year (very much unlike last season), but he isn't quite convinced that he shouldn't be on the field with his big brother.

McLain turned nine at the beginning of April, which was also the start of our Spring Break. Instead of a typical party, he invited his two best friends over. They chowed down at McDonald's, saw How To Train a Dragon at the movies, and spent the night camped out in our living room. We followed the sleepover with a family night at Howard's where McLain ate his favorite wings and opened presents from all the grandparents.

For the first time since I became a teacher, I actually went somewhere for Spring Break! I packed up my boys and we traveled for five and half hours to Jekyll Island. We went with McLain's third grade teacher (one of my b.f.f.s), her mother, and her two year old daughter McKenna. We spent three glorious days watching our babies alternately play in the sand, ocean, and pool. As expected, Keaton was completely fearless of the ocean. From the moment we first stepped on the beach, he took off running for the water and crashed in the waves with nothing but laughter. Both my boys would be content if we moved to Jekyll Island permanently. :)

Keaton had his first of what I'm sure will be many trips to the E.R. last weekend. He dislocated his elbow at McLain's soccer game when my Dad pulled him up from a sitting position. He tried to get Keaton to move quickly from behind the big kid's soccer goal, but it didn't work out quite as planned. I think my Dad was way more traumatized by the event than Keaton who was up and happily running around two minutes after the doctor set his elbow back in place. Glad to know he is resilient!

I can't believe that the school year is coming to a close. Just 19 days left! McLain and I are already plotting our days at White Water. We can practically smell the sunscreen and chlorine. Hurry up summer! :)

No comments: