Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful 30...



Day Twenty-Four

Today, I am thankful for Sarah Hale. Before teaching second grade, I had no idea that this woman was an important American hero. At the beginning of my first year teaching, I happened upon a children's book about Sarah Hale that tells about how Thanksgiving was almost forgotten by most Americans by the mid 1800s. The story explains how she spent 38 years writing 1000s of letters to four different presidents. In her letters, she worked to persuade the presidents to make Thanksgiving a national holiday, so that it would not be forgotten. Finally, Abraham Lincoln was convinced and made the fourth Thursday of November our nation's day to be thankful. Thank you Sarah for your years of dedication, so that my family may enjoy Thanksgiving! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


No comments: